Friday, January 1, 2010

Google Docs

Google docs is a tool I was first exposed to last year at Timberview via Terra Trent and a Tech10 time she did during a staff meeting. Also, last year Tom Andrew (AP at TMS), used Google docs during an in-service on school behavior and expectations. Finally, Tony Pimental did an inservice on Google docs last year for us in April at TMS.

With that being said, I came into this item on the 20/20 things with more experience than other parts. I really like the idea of "technological collaboration." I think we have all seen projects where one student does all the research and another puts together the presentation while the other group members simply sit around and "ride the coat tails" of the others.

I plan on using Google docs in the upcomming quarter at TMS. I do a project where pairs of students choose a particular sport or recrational activity and analyze the physics of that activity. This year, I am going to put together 2 things for each group; one will be a word document that they will be able to use to help compile their research. The second thing I'm going to do is create a power point for the groups that want to use this as a medium to present their project. I think the ability to track who revises it and what they add will hold all members of the group accountable for their part of the project.

I would also like to explore the "form" feature within Google Docs more. I have created one that I could use with my team of students at TMS but haven't formally employed it yet. I think it would be a great way to do surveys of the student body if all students had the ability to log on and take the survey that was created.

I used the e-mail rodney.pierson@asd20.org to access google docs. Feel free to include me in any of your google docs in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment